We host a WhatsApp group for members and prospective members. Anyone who attends our in person or online social activities can join the group chat – please message us on 07757 750255 if you want to join.
What is WhatsApp?
WhatsApp is a messaging application that uses the internet to send messages, images, audio or video. Messages can be sent privately to individuals or shared by a whole group of people.
WhatsApp uses the internet to send and receive messages. It generally works better than texting.
If you are already connected to the internet, using WhatsApp will not cost anything extra to use, even when messaging people abroad. If you are using a mobile phone WhatsApp will use your data allowance when you are not connected to a wireless internet conncetion (Wi-Fi).
About Our WhatsApp Group
The purpose of the OLGBT WhatsApp group is to:
- Support each other between meetings
- Exchange information about upcoming events and activities
- Arrange informal meet ups
- Learn new digital skills
Please note that when you join the WhatsApp group other people using the chat can see your mobile telephone number. However, our group is private and the chat is restricted to people who are known to us.
Anyone who attends our in person or online social activities can join the WhatsApp group – please message us on 07757 750255 if you want to join or Contact Us with your details.
WhatsApp Chat Group Guidelines
When using our WhatsApp chat group please:
- Use the group to exchange messages that are relevant to the aims and activities of The North Midlands LGBT Older Peoples Group – combatting loneliness and isolation is one of our core aims so simply sharing stuff and being social is fine
- Do not pass on telephone numbers or other personal details to anyone outside of The North Midlands LGBT Older Peoples Group
- Be mindful of our policies especially those related to equality and diversity
- Do not not post anything that is derogatory, discriminatory or defamatory
- Be respectful of others and their right to hold opinions that are different from your own
- Please try to avoid controversial topics such as political opinions or debating contentious issues. We want everyone to focus on the things that we have in common and the things that unite us
- Be positive, helpful and supportive. Treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself
The North Midlands LGBT Older Peoples Group is an adult peer support group. Our WhatsApp chat is not moderated but we reserve the right to remove someone from the chat if their behaviour breaches our policies or the WhatsApp Chat Group Guidelines.
If you needs help learning WhatsApp you may find the following resources to be helpful. You can also ask questions in our WhatsApp group as part of the purpose of out chat is to support the learning of Digital Skills
Learning Disability England – WhatsApp Quick Guide
WhatsApp – Help pages and frequently asked questions
Discover Digital was originally funded by the UK Government Community Renewal Fund distributed through Stoke-on-Trent City Council. The project was led by Staffordshire University and delivered in partnership with: Voluntary Action Stoke-on-Trent (VAST), Beth Johnson Foundation, Wavemaker, Stoke-North Big Local, WEA, Caudwell Children, Community Foundation for Staffordshire, Stoke-on-Trent College, YMCA, Dove Service and Keele University.